Re: Inquire of ECCN/LE of Debian 6.05

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 01:50:19PM +0900, Rieko Nagao wrote:
> Dear Paul Wise,

> Thank you.

> Does this mean you (Debian) doesn't have the ECCN certified by BIS?

Correct, Debian has not requested an ECCN certification from the BIS.
Debian does export its software under the TSU exception as described in CFR
740.13(e), including the provisions for notification to the BIS of
publication URLs until recently (when the BIS informed Debian they had
sufficient information and asked us to stop proactively notifying of new
software versions).

> Do we need to confirm the specification of your product by ourselves?

If you are intending to export products from the US that include the Debian
OS, then it would appear you would need to confirm this yourselves, yes.
Since you appear to be based in Japan, I don't understand why you would need
an ECCN certification from the BIS.  Does Japan not have its own process for
ECCN determinations under the Wassenaar Arrangement?