Re: Advice regarding chess engine database files license

Hi!

MJ Ray <mjr <at> phonecoop.coop> writes:

> Paul Wise <pabs <at> debian.org>
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > The Gaviota Engine licence shouldn't apply to the database files. See
> > > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOutput for a similar topic.
> >
> > Sounds like they should go to contrib though, due to the non-free build-dep?
>
> If the database files need to be built by the Gaviota Engine, I think.
> I don't know it well enough to say.
>
> Hope that helps,

Some small database (compressed) files are included in the upstream sources
and other larger ones can be downloaded from this site:
http://www.olympuschess.com/egtb/gaviota/

So, if we can consider these database files as "output" files, then I think
these are good to go to main. However, if these should be treated as
"binary" files which must be generated from the Gaviota Engine, then these
should go to contrib. Can I assume the former and upload these to main?

Thanks,
Varun