Re: Opinion about GPL-2 exception

Le mercredi 30 janvier 2013 à 02:03 +0100, Giulio Paci a écrit :
> During a package review it came out that the software license includes this statement:
> "Should a provision of no. 9 and 10 of the GNU General Public License be invalid or become invalid, a valid provision is deemed to have been agreed upon which comes closest
> to what the parties intended commercially. In any case guarantee/warranty shall be limited to gross negligent actions or intended actions or fraudulent concealment."
>
> I contacted the original author and he explained that this statement was a request of their legal department to avoid the possibility that third party can change the
> license of the software (I guess a misinterpretation of the GPL-2 clauses 9 and 10). Unfortunately the author is not working anymore for the copyright holder and I am
> having some trouble contacting someone that is allowed to remove the exception.
>
> What is your opinion about this exception? Is this exception acceptable for a Debian package in main?

It looks like complete nonsense to me.

Since it starts with “should a provision be invalid or become invalid”,
and these provisions have no reason to become invalid (§9 and §10 are
purely informational), I don’t see it a problem, though.

However, regarding compatibility with other GPL components (if there are
any), I wouldn’t be so sure.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette