Opinion about GPL-2 exception

Hi to all.
	Recently I packaged sequitur-g2p (http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/web/Software/g2p.html).

During a package review it came out that the software license includes this statement:
"Should a provision of no. 9 and 10 of the GNU General Public License be invalid or become invalid, a valid provision is deemed to have been agreed upon which comes closest
to what the parties intended commercially. In any case guarantee/warranty shall be limited to gross negligent actions or intended actions or fraudulent concealment."

I contacted the original author and he explained that this statement was a request of their legal department to avoid the possibility that third party can change the
license of the software (I guess a misinterpretation of the GPL-2 clauses 9 and 10). Unfortunately the author is not working anymore for the copyright holder and I am
having some trouble contacting someone that is allowed to remove the exception.

What is your opinion about this exception? Is this exception acceptable for a Debian package in main?

(Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to the list)

Bests,
	Giulio.