Re: Creative Commons 4.0 BY-NC-SA draft available

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Greg Grossmeier wrote:

> Some common reasons people are sad that CC 'peddles' non-free licenses
> are:

Thanks for the great summary Greg!

> Also, saying "there are licenses needed for things other than free
> software" also confuses the issue a bit. Freedom is not about
> software-only things. And that sentence confuses the type of media with
> the freedom-ness of the media. There is no reason (that I can see,
> personally) why a song shouldn't be as Free as a software application.

Another issue with Free Songs is that even if the license
theoretically makes the artist and listeners equal in what they can do
with the song, often the practical choices of the artist make that
impossible. Usually only a pre-mixed, pre-encoded MP3 or Ogg file is
released, which is probably about the equivalent of an objdump output
from an ELF binary. One rare exception to that I'm aware of is the NIN
songs (that were licensed non-freely); NIN released the source data
and mixing info. AFAICT Creative Commons folks never think about this
aspect of Free Culture.

--
bye,
pabs