Re: Creative Commons 4.0 BY-NC-SA draft available

Paul Wise dijo [Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 01:17:29AM +0800]:
> Sadly Creative Commons are still peddling non-free licenses :(
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/490202/

Right... Well, and I must admit something here in public: When the CC
4.0 draft process started¹ on December 2011, I volunteered to follow
on it. And although I have followed it and took part in several
discussions, trying to do it as Debian-minded as possible, I ended up
leaving the debate as it spiraled into many non-constructive
discussions.

I know Francesco Poli, quite active in this list, has been following
up lately much closer than me. I have identified other Debian people
in the discussions as well. (I doubt singling out each of them is
needed). There are several points we do not share, but at least I
think that between all of us we have helped voice our project's
stance.

It is important to me to see how CC-minded people *do* know and care
about the Debian project, even if they have a different mindset, be it
on specific details or on important issues. There were several
important points discussed, which I hope to see soon published (such
as the time-limited license expiry/change). Important points to us,
such as the GPL compatibility (or even GPL conversibility, which I am
personally not very supportive of), have also been treated.

Now, finally, and answering to Paul's comment: Yes, CC will continue
to have non-free licenses (NonCommercia, NoDerivatives) as part of
their offering, as an important part of the people choosing CC for
their works are choosing said licenses. What CC is trying to achieve
is to reduce the amount of contradictory points. As an example, in
order to define one of their DFSG-free licenses (BY-SA - Attribution
and ShareAlike), they will basically remove all NC provisions from the
BY-NC-SA (for which the draft was published). Many of us feel it's the
only sane way to strengthen CC and to increase the awareness on
really-free licenses (and thus the amount of pieces of work licensed
that way).

¹ http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2011-December/006428.html