Re: Request review of cdrtools-3.0 for inclusion in Debian

Hi Eric,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 03:20:22PM -0800, Eric Shattow wrote:
> I seek clarification on how closely cdrtools-3.0 meets the Debian Free
> Software Guidelines.

> Web: http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
> Tarball: ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/cdrtools-3.00.tar.gz

> Would an official debian legal representative please consider the
> cdrtools-3.0 release for review?

> 1. Does cdrtools-3.0 release pass the DFSG?  Why or why not, and
> please could this be supported by legal or official decision by the
> Debian project?

It doesn't matter if the stated license of cdrtools passes the DFSG.  The
author and copyright holder of cdrtools has an adversarial relationship with
the Debian project, and cdrtools was removed from Debian as a direct result
of this conflict and the author's clear intent to disallow modifications
that must be permitted under the DFSG.

Jörg Schilling's software is not welcome in Debian.  We have no need for
litigious upstreams, and cdrtools has been obsoleted by cdrkit which,
contrary to Mr. Schilling's representations, is more featureful and less
buggy on Linux than cdrtools.

See http://bugs.debian.org/377109 for the full history here.