Re: ELPA license, LGPL + additional restrictions

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:23:43 +0100 Michael Banck wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for your answer.

You're welcome!

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 04:49:08PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > My own personal opinion is that such additional restriction (which I am
> > not even sure can actually be added this way to the GNU LGPL v3) makes
> > the result GPL-incompatible.
> > The reason is that the GNU GPL insists that the whole work be available
> > under the terms of the GNU GPL, but the above restriction makes this
> > impossible for the ELPA library.
> Now that you mention it I guess that clause was explicitly included in
> the LGPLv3 in order to maintain GPL-compatibility by design, right?

It is my understanding that this is indeed the case.

> In that case, I will bring it up with the CP2K maintainers.  They do not
> distribute binaries though, only a source repository and sometimes
> release tarballs.  Is this already an issue as they are shipping the
> ELPA source in their tree right now?

I am not sure that the issue bites even for source-only distribution...

Maybe it depends on how the distribution is performed.
The relevant questions could perhaps be something like: are CP2K and
ELPA distributed as a single whole work? or do CP2K maintainers just
distribute ELPA source as a separate library for their users'

Anyway, I'll leave this for other debian-legal regulars to reply.
Sure there are people way more knowledgeable than me on this specific

Bye and thanks for taking this issue seriously.

 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!