Re: Freeness of this license

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:48:35 +1000 Ben Finney wrote:

> Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> > License to use, copy, modify, sell and/or distribute this software and
> > its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without royalty,
> > subject to the following terms and conditions:
> […]
>
> I agree that the text covered by that elision is a standard 3-clause
> BSD-style license.

As I said, I think it is not so similar to the 3-clause BSD license.

Please re-read the 3 clauses you snipped and compare them with the 3
clauses in
http://www.debian.org/misc/bsd.license

They are not the same.
They may be similar in effects, perhaps, but they are not the same...

> > LICENSEE shall indemnify,
[...]
> This is an imposition of boundless and unknowable costs on the licensee,
> based on the action of other parties.
>
> It goes far beyond the (already included) warranty disclaimer, and
> reaches into the future life of the licensee to oblige legal defense of
> the copyright holder.
>
> It makes the work non-free, in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Your insight is much appreciated!

> If the paragraph were dropped, the disclaimer of warranty earlier would
> still stand, which should be sufficient. It would also make the license
> almost identical to a 3-clause BSD license, so I would just encourage
> the copyright holder to reduce license proliferation by issuing a
> standard text instead of their own variant.

I agree with the recommendation and I personally suggest the adoption
of the 3-clause BSD license:
http://www.debian.org/misc/bsd.license

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!