licensing question for "nom.tam.fits"

Hi to everyone involved in debian-legal,

I've got a licensing issue related to the astronomical Java library
"fits" ("nom.tam.fits") from Thomas McGlynn.

The newest release can be obtained at:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits/java/v1.0/v1.08.1/ .

In the code, I find the following copyright statement:
/* Copyright: Thomas McGlynn 1997-1999.
 * This code may be used for any purpose, non-commercial
 * or commercial so long as this copyright notice is retained
 * in the source code or included in or referred to in any
 * derived software.
 */
When I wrote an e-mail to Thomas McGlynn, he replied:
"I believe the lines you quote are themselves the entirety of the
license. There was no intent to associate this with any specific more
general license."

Now, I'm not sure how to proceed. I have a local Debian package for
"fits" ready but I would also like to file an ITP and to find a
sponsor to bring the package into Debian. I guess in that case, the
software has to be associated with any specific license, right?
I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance and please cc me in your replies since I'm not
subscribed to "debian-legal".
Best regards, Florian