Re: Open-source library proxying to a closed-source library (ITP #679504)

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On second thought, are you sure the original header is not already
> free software?  Can we see the terms for distributing and modifying
> it?

I generate proxy libraries for several proprietary solvers: cplex,
xpress, gurobi. With the help of a search engine, you can find the
headers in various places.

I'll copy-paste the headers of those files:

cplex.h: (it is an old version, I am not at my lab right now so I
randomly took it from a website that leaked it)
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  File: cplex.h                                                         */
/*  Version 8.1                                                           */
/*                                                                        */
/*  Copyright (C) 1997-2002 by ILOG.                                      */
/*  All Rights Reserved.                                                  */
/*                                                                        */
/*  N O T I C E                                                           */
/*                                                                        */
/*  THIS MATERIAL IS CONSIDERED A TRADE SECRET BY ILOG.                   */
/*  UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, USE, REPRODUCTION OR DISTRIBUTION IS PROHIBITED. */
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  $Revision: 1.84 $                                                     */
/*  Last modified $Date: 2002/10/29 19:55:34 $ $Author: mary $           */
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

gurobi_c.h:
/* Copyright 2009, Gurobi Optimization, Inc. */

xprs.h:
/***************************************************************************\
 * xprs.h                                                                  *
 * Declarations neccesary for using the Xpress-Optimizer from C            *
 * (c) Copyright Fair Isaac Corporation 1983-2012. All rights reserved     *
 * For FICO Xpress Optimizer v23.01.04                                     *

So the header of cplex makes it very clear: I *cannot* start from
their header. For the two others, I am not sure.

Last time I browsed the glpk source code, I found out that they
partially reimplemented the cplex header
(http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glpk/glpk-4.47.tar.gz), file
glpk-4.47/examples/cplex/cplex.h. I am going to ask them how they did.