Re: MIT/Expat with "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil" statement

2012/4/26 Dmitry Nezhevenko <dion@inhex.net>:

> I'm going to package django-pipeline, that is licensed under MIT/Expat
> license except one file, that is MIT/Expat too but with one addede
> sentence:
>  https://github.com/cyberdelia/django-pipeline/blob/master/LICENSE
>
>  jsmin.py (License-information from the file)

Ah, the infamous (and evil) jsmin license.

> So it's probably non-free.

Definitely.

> I've a few ideas how to at least workaround it:
> - repack upstream tarball and replace jsmin.py with stub one that returns
>  original JS without compressing.

Suboptimal but acceptable in main.

> - don't repack tarball, just patch this jsmin.py using debian/patches so that
>  it will not use jsmin at all

Still non-free, not acceptable in main.

> Any other suggestions?

Ask upstream to switch to a sanely licensed JavaScript compressor
(there are several).

--
bye,
pabs