Re: Do you consider charity shops non commercial?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 02:44:44AM -0700, Chris Harshman wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2012, at 5:35 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> > The term "non-commercial" is open to interpretation
>
> I was surprised Black's (8e) doesn't define "(non-)commercial."

Black's (9e) defines "commercial use" as "a use that is connected with or
furthers an ongoing profit-making activity", whereas "noncommercial use" is
defined as "a use for private pleasure or business purposes that non involving
the generation of income or bestowing a reward or other compensation".

I would not ground any conclusions on that, though, especially after having
once heard an judge ask a lawyer, in the middle of a hearing, whether he had
a legal argument, rather than a lexical one.