Re: public domain no modification

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 05:05:27PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>   I am working on the package for "Java Components for Mathematics"
> (#667923). Some files are distributed with a clear public domain type
> license:

>  This source code file, and compiled classes derived from it, can
>  be used and distributed without restriction, including for commercial
>  use.  (Attribution is not required but is appreciated.)

>  However some other files are distributed with a much nastier license:

>  1) This source code file, in unmodified form, and compiled classes
>     derived from it can be used and distributed without restriction,
>     including for commercial use.  (Attribution is not required
>     but is appreciated.)

>  2) Modified versions of this file can be made and distributed
>     provided:  the modified versions are put into a Java package
>     different from the original package, edu.hws;  modified
>     versions are distributed under the same terms as the original;
>     and the modifications are documented in comments.  (Modification
>     here does not include simply making subclasses that belong to
>     a package other than edu.hws, which can be done without any
>     restriction.)

> Clearly §2 is meant to distinguish derived work from original work.
> However in our case, this means this package will have to have its
> name change whenever we need to patch the source code (eg. fix a
> compilation error).

This appears to be entirely consistent with the requirements of DFSG #4.  It
doesn't mean that you have to change it *whenever* you patch the source
code, only that you have to change it the *first* time you patch the source
code.  Best to change the name up front, so that future patching doesn't
immediately break interface compatibility with reverse-dependencies.

> Does it make sense to upload the 1.0 version under the name 'jcm', or
> should I prefer 'debian-jcm' package just to allow future work on it ?

Nothing in the license quoted above requires you to change the *Debian*
package name.  It only requires that you change the *java* package name.
You should use whatever name for the Debian package makes the most sense,
but change the name of the Java package to something other than edu.hws.

HTH,