Re: 3 questions around source of GPL images

I have no opinion on whether the SVG files are required by the
GPL/DFSG, or just count as "an older version of" the preferred form
for modification in this case. Defining the preferred form for
modification for non-programs gets a bit vague...

If it's easy to find the corresponding SVGs, the safe option is to add
them to the source package, and stop caring about whether the license
required you to do so or you're just being helpful.

If they *are* required by the GPL/DFSG, then you can't rely on another
package to provide them without a dependency relationship:

On 18/03/12 23:48, Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
> => Since Debian distribute the source for both package X (the KDE
> icon theme) and my package, I'd say the image are correctly
> acompanied with the source (both are in Debian archive) as per
> GPL-2 3.a) or GPL-3 6.d ("If the place to copy the object code is a
> network server, the Corresponding Source may be on a different
> server").

>From a purely practical point of view, this is not guaranteed to
remain true: packages, and specific package versions, get removed from
the archive regularly. The KDE icon theme will hopefully never get
removed, but the specific version from which your package is derived
will disappear eventually.

If your package needs to keep another source package in the archive in
order to comply with the GPL (e.g. binutils-mingw-64 needs to keep its
corresponding binutils in the archive), that's what the Built-Using
field is for - but in this case that isn't really appropriate (it'd
keep a particular version of the KDE icon theme in the archive
indefinitely).