Re: libidn re-license

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <kon@iki.fi> writes:
>
>> I believe GPLv2+|LGPLv3+ is incompatible with
>> GPLv2|OpenSSL-linking-exception, used in ekg2.
>
> Thank you for a good data point.  I've brought this up with
> licensing@gnu.org to hear what they have to say about it.

On second thought, if a program is licensed under GPLv2 with an
additional permission to link with OpenSSL, this permission does
not survive linking with LGPLv2 libraries either, such as glibc
or libidn before your relicensing.  (The reason such linking is
allowed by GPLv2 is that LGPLv2 section 3 allows converting to
GPLv2+.  The result of this conversion does not have the OpenSSL
exception.)  Therefore, I think you can ignore that problem.

IIRC, the FSF used to recommend that OpenSSL license exceptions
also grant explicit permission to link with LGPL libraries;
however, I seem unable to find that recommendation now.