'python-iview' legal/policy advice

Hi,

I am considering packaging an application known as 'python-iview'[1] (existing
RFP[2]) and I wanted to get some legal/policy advice before filing an ITP.

First, a description of what 'ABC[3] iview' is, from their FAQ[4]:

> ABC iview is a free internet broadcasting service offering full-screen
> video on-demand.

'python-iview' is an alternative to the ABC's flash-based front-end. The
source code licensed under GPLv3, however I thought that there may be some
issues with getting it into Debian:

1. Evading copyright restrictions.

The FAQ[4] says:

> ABC pays the owners of our content extra licensing fees to allow for it to
> be shown for at least 14 days online via iview. Streaming rights with the
> ABC are limited by a number of legal or business agreements that differ
> from program to program. A program must expire for many reasons, including
> music rights management, impending DVD sales and syndication deals. ABC is
> keen to support those content makers and therefore does not license
> content to be downloaded onto individual devices. Use of third party
> applications that allow downloadable versions of ABC iview programs is
> therefore unauthorised and not supported in any way.

python-iview uses rtmpdump to download the streaming video, and so
specifically violates the licence. Usage results in an unencrypted FLV or MP4
on your hard drive. However similar software, get-iplayer, is already in the
archive (see the previous discussion on this list[5]).

2. Geo-coding.

Again, from the FAQ[4]:

> ABC iview is geo-blocked, which means that you can't access the programs
> from overseas. This is due to programming rights management, which prevent
> us from making this content available in markets other than Australia.

The service, but not the software, discriminates based on IP address. For this
reason the software is likely to be useful only to Australian Debian users.

Advice on whether either of these points is likely to be a barrier to entry of
this software into Debian would be greatly appreciated.

[1] https://jeremy.visser.name/2009/08/python-iview/
[3] the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australia's national public
broadcaster.
[4] http://www.abc.net.au/tv/iview/faq.htm
[5] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2009/03/msg00003.html

--