DRM legal advice

Hi,

I am preparing a package called get-iplayer, and a potential sponsor has
asked me to get your opinion before we go further.

If you don't already know, the iPlayer is the BBC's online catch-up
service for television and radio programmes broadcast in the previous 7
days. Programmes are available in Flash format on the website, but can
also be downloaded and kept for up to 30 days before they expire. Expiry
is controlled using DRM, which means the client is Windows-only and
therefore Linux users are cut out completely. Programmes are also
available through a special iPhone channel.

get_iplayer (renamed to get-iplayer for Debian naming restrictions)
avoids this by fetching programmes through the iPhone channel in
reasonable quality and saving them to disk. However, this also evades
the DRM protection so the user is free to keep the files for as long as
(s)he likes, which obviously isn't what the BBC wishes.

Upstreams documentation does encourage users to respect the restrictions
that would be in place and remove files after they should have expired,
but there is no technical mechanism for doing so.

Can you advise what the Debian position on this is? Please keep me in
CC.

Thanks

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

PGP/GPG: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52