Re: ITP fsmark - bug 655224: License restriction for lib_timing.c DFSG compliant?

Am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2012 schrieb Ben Finney:
> Martin Steigerwald <ms@teamix.de> writes:
> > On packaging fs_mark I found
> >
> >   8  * Copyright (c) 2000 Carl Staelin.
> >   9  * Copyright (c) 1994-1998 Larry McVoy.
> >
> >  10  * Distributed under the FSF GPL with
> >  11  * additional restriction that results may published only if
> >  12  * (1) the benchmark is unmodified, and
> >  13  * (2) the version in the sccsid below is included in the report.
>
> No version of the GPL is specified. That's often taken to mean “whatever
> version you, the recipient, choose”. I don't know how well that would
> hold up if challenged.
>
> These additions are not compatible with the GPL which, in GPLv3 §10 says
> “You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the
> rights granted or affirmed under this License.”
>
> > Is this restriction DFSG compliant?
>
> It's not only not compliant with the DFSG; it's not compliant with the
> GPL itself. So the recipient has no effective grant of license to
> redistribute.
>
> I hope you can contact upstream and notify them that the terms do not
> grant effective license to any recipient, and encourage them to remove
> those additional restrictions.

Okay, so it couldn't even be distributed in non-free, when I understand this
correctly.

I will try to find out mail addresses of the upstream authors and contact them.

Thanks,
--
Martin Steigerwald - teamix GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90