Re: exFAT fuse driver and the patent situation

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 06:40:44PM +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 09:47:44PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Hi,
> >> You may want to take a look at the Community Distribution Patent
> >> Policy FAQ, prepared for Debian by the SFLC:
> If you have serious concerts, then in my opinion, you should not
> include this in Debian -or- include in "non-free" repo, and put the
> reason in the readme or changelog or package description.

non-free is not for the patent incumbered software.

So this is not correct suggestion.

We had nonUS for this purpose but we do not do this any more.  Since LZW
patent has expired, we never reactivated it.

I agree with Marco.  You should not make any more vague statement on
patent.  It is nothing but counter productive.  I think your statement
is nothing more than "there are rumors on MS getting paied" but MS never
disclosed full contents of any such patent licensing agreement terms.
This is standard practice in the industry.

Instead of second-guessing, just ignore it if it is not enforced as
Marco said.

Osamu