Re: License check for a new(ly modified) license..

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:41:15 +0200 Ricardo Mones wrote:

>   Hi,

Hi Ricardo! (Hi Sam!)

>   Added Sam, and I hope he doesn't mind, as I think he's the one which can
>   give the best answer to this.

That's OK with me.

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:29:20 +0200
> Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> wrote:
>
> > >          DO WHATEVER THE DUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
> > >                     Version 3, September 2011
> > >              Copyright (C) 2011 Felyza Wishbringer
> >
> > I think you should also acknowledge the original license text's
> > copyright holder with an appropriate copyright notice (Copyright (C)
> > 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>).
>
>   Really? My reading of WTFPL is that you have to precisely remove Sam's
>   name and put the name of who is licensing: "and changing it is allowed as
>   long as the name is changed."

I thought that "name" was referring to the license name, not to the
license author's name.
But let's see what Sam has to say about this...

>   License, as I read it, has no copyright for itself, which sounds pretty
>   logical given its spirit :)

Regardless of any consideration about the license spirit, I read the
copyright notice (Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>) as
applying to the license text, not to the licensed work.

See for instance
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/t/toilet/toilet_0.2-1/toilet.copyright
where two separate copyright notices appear, with two different years.
I interpret them as being one for the toilet program and one for the
license text.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!