Re: Thoughts on GPL's Appropriate Legal Notices? or the CPAL?

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 02:43:33PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 at 16:47:33 -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> > the question for me is
> > if "Powered By SugarCRM" is a reasonable author attribution.
>
> No, I don't think it is.
>
> "Copyright © 2011 John Doe" and "Copyright © 2011 SugarCRM Inc." are
> both Appropriate Legal Notices; "Incorporates code by John Doe",
> "Based on a work by SugarCRM Inc." and "Authors: John Doe, Jane Smith et al"
> all seem like reasonable author attributions.
>
> This is not the clearest possible example; be careful to distinguish here
> between SugarCRM, a product, and SugarCRM Inc., a legal entity. A product
> can't be an author, but perhaps a legal entity can, depending how you and
> your jurisdiction interpret the relationship between work-for-hire and
> authorship.
>
> Here's a clearer example with less confusing names: "Powered by
> GNU Emacs" is neither an author attribution nor an Appropriate Legal Notice;
> "© Free Software Foundation, Inc." is an Appropriate Legal Notice;
> "Author: Richard Stallman" is an author attribution.

I remember wrestling with this specific point when we were adding
these very late changes to GPLv3, around May 2007. SugarCRM was the
main company requesting this change. SugarCRM actually prepared its
"additional terms" before the final release of GPLv3, and obviously
wished to have FSF blessing for them (I believe the GPLv3 release of
SugarCRM occurred very shortly after the date the FSF released
GPLv3). As originally drafted, in fact, they were not acceptable (the
main issue being, as I recall, an incorrect maximalist understanding
of the 'Appropriate Legal Notices' requirement; I think Zarafa made
the same error -- a side issue I find troubling).

The FSF had gotten comfortable with the idea that under some
circumstances a corporate logo could be a reasonable author
attribution. Two issues concerned me: (a) even if a corporate logo was
otherwise reasonable as an author attribution, did inclusion of