Re: On using the name Kinect, and fetching a binary firmware

Le vendredi 30 septembre 2011 à 12:13 +0200, Antonio Ospite a écrit :
> 1) Can I use the word "Kinect" in my project name? I read that the
>      name "Kinect" is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation[3], in the
>      project description I make clear that the software is related to
>      the _Microsoft_ Kinect device, but maybe this is not enough, I
>      don't know.

I don’t think that’s a problem, it’s fair use of the trademark.

> 2) For the audio to work a binary firmware is needed; it can be taken
>      from the Micosoft Kinect for Windows SDK[4] but since that is not
>      re-distributable I decided to use a script[5] which downloads and
>      extracts the firmware, the script is going to be called at
>      installation time, is that OK?

It is OK but on 2 conditions:
      * it needs to check the integrity of the firmware using a secure
        hash or equivalent technology;
      * the package will need to go in contrib.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :