Re: Lawyer request stop from downloading Debian

Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net> writes:

> It's my understanding that in Germany lawyers can do this to copyright
> violators even though they are not the copyright holder.

This is not true. Under German competition law, someone can hire a
lawyer to send a cease-and-desist letter to a competitor if they are
gaining an unfair advantage, say, by infrining on a third party's
copyright. The cost for the laywer then has to be paid by the
perpetrator, but no lawyer may act solely by himself.

However, this is definitely not what has happened here. In this case, a
Dutch company claimed that they were having exclusive distribution
rights on squeeze, which rather seems to be an attempt at fraud to me.

On the other hand, ensuring GPL compliance for torrent distribution
seems to be a good idea.

Hendrik