Re: Is the old trademark suggestion still reasonable?

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 02:05:44PM +0100, Arand Nash wrote:
> I'm shallowly involved with a game project which I hope someday
> might make it into Debian.

> Currently they use a rather non-free trademark/logo license.

> I read an interesting suggestion in the archives here[1] which I
> figured might be worth proposing as an alternative to the main
> developers.
> My adapted version would read something like:[2]

> Is this still a suggestion for a trademark license which you would
> still consider reasonably "OK" and fit for DFSG?

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/04/msg00122.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/04/msg00082.html seems to be the
better reference for this.

In general, Debian does not consider *any* trademark license to be non-free,
including the default state under the law of not granting any trademark
license at all.  The only problem arises when trademark-like restrictions
are entangled with the copyright license of the work.

As for this particular license, note that debian-legal does not give legal
advice; the proposed license looks ok to me, but I'm not a lawyer and that
license has never been tested in court TTBOMK so I have nothing to point to
saying that it's good.