Re: Lost sources [was: Re: scientific paper in package only in postscript form non-free?]

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Mark Weyer wrote:
> I always thought that such distribution would be in breach of the
> GPL, or more generally of copyleft. After all, it is impossible to
> distinguish, from the outside, between lost and secret sources.

In such a case, where you suspected secret sources, you'd sue, and
during discovery, compel the information regarding the creation of the
work including sources to be turned over. People could still lie then,
too, but deliberately lying during discovery can have pretty harsh
penalties.

> And if the I-want-my-sources-secret person does not care about later
> modifications, he might even really delete the sources.

In such a case, the author of the modifications isn't in a privileged
position.

Don Armstrong

--
A kiss was mysterious and powerful, fragile and invincible. Like any
spark, a kiss might fizzle into nothing or consume an entire forest.