Re: scientific paper in package only in postscript form non-free?

Salvatore Bonaccorso asked:
> I'm in the process of preparing a NMU for autoclass [1]. During
> checking the package I encountered the two postscript files kdd-95.ps
> and tr-fia-90-12-7-01.ps . Both are awailable from [2].
>
> Can these be shipped in the source and binary package?
>
>  [1] http://bugs.debian.org/614525
>  [2] http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/tech/rse/synthesis-projects-applications/autoclass/autoclass-c/

They're in the upstream source tarball, so I think they're covered
by the current copyright statement
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/autoclass/current/copyright
which isn't a licence that requires original source code (like GPL
might IIRC) and arguably PS files are program source code anyway
so I think I'd ship it in both.  Why do you think not?

If we had an easier-to-use source code for the files, we should
include that, but PS is OK.

Hope that informs,
--
MJR/slef