Re: copyright on upstream patches

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 05:57:43PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear Harald,

Dear Charles Plessy

> [...]
> >
> > Files: *
> > Copyright: 2005, Petr Rehor <rx@rx.cz>
> > License: BSD
> >
> > Files: compat/fts_compat.h, compat/daemon.c, compat/mkdtemp.c,
> >        compat/fts_open.c
> > Copyright: 1987, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, The Regents of the University of
> >            California
> > License: BSD
> >
> > Files: compat/strlcpy.c
> > Copyright: 1998, Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com>
> > License: ISC
> >  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
> >  purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
> >  copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
> >  .
> >  THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
> >  WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
> >  MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
> >  ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
> >  WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
> >  ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
> >  OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
> >
> > Files: debian/*
> > Copyright: 2009-2011, Harald Jenny <harald@a-little-linux-box.at>
> > License: BSD
> >
> > License: BSD
> >  Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> >  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> >  are met:
> >  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> >     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> >  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> >     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> >     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> >  3. Neither the name of the copyright holders nor the names of its
> >     contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
> >     this software without specific prior written permission.
> >  .
> >  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
> >  ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> >  LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
> >  A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
> >  OWNERS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> >  SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
> >  TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
> >  PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
> >  LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
> >  NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
> >  SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

I also thought about this but as the license text for the University of
California differes slightly from the one of Petr Rehor I wasn't sure this is
the correct way to do it - I also thought about:

Files: *
Copyright: 2005, Petr Rehor <rx@rx.cz>
License: BSD-1

Files: compat/fts_compat.h, compat/daemon.c, compat/mkdtemp.c,
       compat/fts_open.c
Copyright: 1987, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, The Regents of the University of
           California
License: BSD
 LICENSE TEXT FROM California

Files: debian/*
Copyright: 2009-2011, Harald Jenny <harald@a-little-linux-box.at>
License: BSD-1

License: BSD-1
 LICENSE TEXT FROM Petr Rehor

As I'm not sure how detailed the exact wording of the license text must be
preserved I wanted to be on the safe side but when it's ok to just use the
amavisd-milter License stanza also for the University of California this is for
sure better... what's the list's opinion on this?

> Have a nice week-end,

Thanks you too!

> --
> Charles