Re: please advise on how to "attribute" correctly using CC BY-SA 3.0

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:01:34 -0500 Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

[...]
> In the realm of the mix of research and Debian activities we
> (NeuroDebian project) whenever applicable try to encourage researchers
> to share their data under some open terms.

This is really appreciated from my part: thanks for doing that.

> To avoid confusion, and to
> suggest a license which seems to be a better fit for data, we
> advise (and use ourselves)  CC BY-SA 3.0,

Despite my appreciation for the general principle of encouraging the
adoption of "open" terms, I personally disagree with your specific
choice of license to suggest.

Since many debian-legal regulars are already well aware of my own
opinion on Creative Commons licenses, I won't repeat my arguments for
the n-th time (!). Just a couple of links to explain what I mean:

> in particular because it was
> announced to be DFSG-compliant.

I am a bit surprised by this sentence: I do know that FTP Masters
currently accept works licensed under the terms of CC-by-v3.0 and
CC-by-sa-v3.0 as DFSG-free, but I am not aware of any clear
announcement of this decision (a decision I disagree with, as I said
above).
Are you aware of any such announcement, hopefully including a rationale
for their decision?

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!