Re: MS-PL & LGPL

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 08:31:24AM +0100, Jan Brennenstuhl wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Jan, I'm from Berlin (Germany) and currently programming a
> desktop tool as a part of my Bachelor thesis.
>
> My lecturer recommended me to write you because of one of my problems
> with software licenses: I would like to use two dll-libraries in my
> tool. The problem is that one is licensed under LGPL and the other under
> MS-PL. I read a lot about both licenses but I'm still not sure whether I
> could use both in my tool and under which license my tool has to be
> licensed in the end.
>
> I just wanted to know whether you have any idea or suggestion.
> Would be great if you could help.

First of all, this is off-topic on this list, as we talk mainly about DFSG
compliance, and about legal issues with packages in Debian.

However, the combination you are talking about is perfectly fine. The MS-PL
does not restrict the license of your program, or of other software components.
Neither does the LGPL (as opposed to the GPL). So you should be fine.

Best regards,

Rudolf Polzer