Re: NASA CDF

On 10/12/10 19:31, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> Teemu Ikonen <tpikonen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The conclusion I draw from the threads above is that the license above
>> is DFSG-free.
> I agree with you, but also with those who observed that the notion of a
> federal agency holding copyright is a bit odd; published US government
> work falls into the public domain, and I would expect a work for hire
> (by a contractor) to have a corresponding copyright holder.

ALL works are automatically copyright, as per Berne. I don't know which
takes precedent, but I understood treaties override US law.

AIUI the correct interpretation of the law is that the US government
cannot enforce copyright, so US citizens effectively have an
unrestricted licence. The situation with regard to US government works
abroad, well I dunno ...

> IANAL, but I do work directly for a different US government agency (the
> National Center for Biotechnology Information) as a software developer.

IANAL either.

Cheers,
Wol