Re: Distributing Debian derivative

* David Given <dg@cowlark.com> [100323 01:28]:
> [...]
> > If you want some more minimal, you can calculate a more minimal set via:
> > Look at the packages installed (look in /var/lib/dpkg/status), assemble
> > a list of source packages.
> [...]
>
> Unfortunately that's an infeasible amount of work --- it's a non-trivial
> amount of scripting, and sufficiently difficult that it's just not worth
> it given that I'm only doing this for convenience.

I tried that approach and it is not really feasible from the results
either. Doing an apt-get build-deps in a chroot on the output
of grep-dctrl -s Source:Package of the installed packages finishes after
7 iterations (modulo some co-installability issues that one can work
around), and the collected list contains 676 source packages, which
need around 2 GB of space to store...

I guess most is due to the same source package building multiple
binaries, thus having more build-dependencies than needed for only
building the core packages...

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link