Re: Plugins for non-free software in orig.tar.gz

Le dimanche 04 juillet 2010 à 12:34 +0200, Francesco Poli a écrit :
> I wonder whether those "shaders" should be considered as purely
> functional in nature, and thus not copyrightable: I seem to recall that
> there's U.S. case law about a functionality exception to copyright
> protection, and the following was stated:
>
> | <pgregory> not much we can do about that, if we dont' ship them we're not
> | compliant.
>
> which seems to suggest that those "shaders" are necessary to comply to
> a software standard (namely, the RenderMan interface standard defined
> by Pixar Animation Studios).

These are not only interface descriptions like C headers, which are
indeed not copyrightable. However the code pieces are absolutely
trivial.

IMHO the “clean” solution is to rewrite the shaders from scratch by only
looking at the standard. Given the triviality you will end up writing
the same files with only non-algorithmic changes.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :