Re: Distribution of media content together with GPLv2 code in one package?

Rudolf Polzer <divVerent@alientrap.org> writes:

> You can perfectly replicate a program by copying its source code.
>
> You cannot replicate the sound of spoken words by speaking the same
> words.

That's not comparing like with like, as I believe has been pointed out
several times in this thread.

The source code for the program, represented as software
(digitally-encoded information), is the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to that work. The sound of spoken words,
represented as software, is the digital recording of that sound.

> If you want to define source code as "whatever is needed for
> replicating the output, in a form that can be edited", then spoken
> voice has no such thing.

Yes, it does. The usual “preferred form of the work for making
modifications to it”, borrowed from the wording of the GPL, applies just
fine: The preferred form of a software work consisting of recorded voice
would surely be the best available high-quality software recording of
that work.

--
 \        “Odious ideas are not entitled to hide from criticism behind |
  `\          the human shield of their believers' feelings.” —Richard |