Re: ISDA CDS Standard Model Public Licence v0.1

Guillaume Yziquel <guillaume.yziquel@citycable.ch> wrote:
> Walter Landry a écrit :
>> Also, I wonder about the wording that they require.  The phrasing
>> makes it seems that the developers of the application collaborated
>> with Markit Group Ltd.  What if that is not the case.  What if the
>> application is written by a competitor?
>
> Wouldn't bet my hand on this one, but it seems fairly reasonable to
> presume that software distributed on Markit's website, with a licence
> mentioning Markit explicitely, proposing a standard model software for
> use with the products that they are world-wide known to
> market... would be software written by Markit.

But what about other people making modifications to it?  What if
Goldman-Sachs decides that this is wonderful software, so they modify
it specifically to counter some tactic that Markit is using?  The
modified software would still have to have the same verbiage about
collaborating with Markit, even though Markit may not be happy about
the modifications at all.

If you can actually have a conversation with Markit, please advise
them to use a standard license battle-tested in court.  Depending on
their desires, that would be the GPL, LGPL, or BSD.  None of the other
licenses, especially one that they cooked up, have had nearly the same
amount of scrutiny by judges in real cases.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@caltech.edu