Re: is CC BY 3.0 DFSG-free, again

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:58:23 -0700 Sean Robinson wrote:

>   I have looked around and not found a definitive answer to whether CC BY
> 3.0 is DFSG-free.  http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses mentions CC BY-SA
> 3.0, but not CC BY 3.0.  And previous discussions on this list have been
> unclear on a distinction and unresolved about their status wrt DFSG.

AFAICT, the status is as follows:

 a) works licensed under the terms of CC-by-v3.0 seem to be currently
    accepted by FTP-masters as DFSG-free
 b) some people (mostly myself!) disagree with this conclusion and have
    explained their position repeatedly on this list and elsewhere, but
    (unfortunately!) failed to gain consensus

For further details, see [1] where I failed to persuade a package
maintainer that there's a problem with CC-by-v3.0, and also [2]
where I provide a summary of the situation.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/431794
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2008/08/msg00043.html

>   So, what is the latest thinking about CC BY 3.0 and DFSG?

My own personal conclusion is unchanged (since nobody has provided new
facts about CC licenses that convinced me to change my mind), but the
opinion that matters, as far as the Debian Project is concerned, is the
FTP-masters' one: they are the real decision-makers.

> Alternatively,
> what are DFSG-compatible licenses for the non-executable portions of a
> package (e.g. documentation, images, etc.)?

There are several licenses that meet the DFSG and are perfectly
suitable for non-executable works: my own recommendations are the Expat
license [3] and the GNU GPL v2 [4].

[3] http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt
[4] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt

For non-executable works that complement executable ones (e.g.:
documentation for programs, images used by programs, and so forth) the
general recommendation is to adopt the same license for executable and
non-executable parts.

>   While I am not a Debian developer, I respect the community's efforts and I
> would like to make sure my work can be included by packagers.

This is really appreciated, indeed.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?