bsd & modified bsd clarification

[ please cc me, I'm not subscribed ]

Hi Debian-legal,

I'm packaging Dwoo [0] for Debian, which uses a Modified BSD
license.  Since there are a few files inside Dwoo that use a different
license, I thought I'd use the new debian/copyright format [1].

So far so good.  Except I've come into a bit of trouble with what to use
for the Modified BSD.  Debian's license information [2] states that
"Modified BSD" is a "common" license, meaning that it is to be found inside
/usr/share/common-licenses.  However, if one follows the link on that page
to the text of the modified BSD license [3], and then diffs that with
/usr/share/common-licenses/BSD (which is the only BSD-ish license in
there), it's not the same.

Furthermore, the new debian/copyright policy [1] doesn't mention Modified
BSD at all - it just references BSD, NetBSD and FreeBSD.

Which brings me to the quandary of what to put inside debian/copyright.  I
guess I can put "Modified BSD" and include the license verbatim, as Dwoo
ships it in LICENSE, except that now of course I'm curious ;)

Cheers,
Penny

0: http://dwoo.org
1: http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/