Re: Is distribution of cracked Texas Instruments signing keys illegal according to DMCA?

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:23:41AM +0200, Krzysztof Burghardt wrote:
> Is distribution of cracked Texas Instruments signing keys illegal
> according to DMCA?

This list is not a source for legal advice.  If you have questions about the
legality of distributing a particular piece of software, you should contact
the DPL who can refer the question to SPI's legal counsel.

> If not, is it legal to remove TI's keys and include rabbitsign
> in Debian (it will still be usable with community-created "0005" key
> which anyone can use to sign their own third-party OS).

If the only component being disputed are the signing keys, why do you think
this would not be legal?

> Finally, is it possible that signing application is illegal at all, no
> matter if distributed with or without keys, because it "circumvents DRM"?

There are numerous applications in Debian that can be (and are) used for
codesigning.