Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:11:29 -0700 (PDT) Ken Arromdee wrote:

> > > I suggest you start your own distribution, in which you won’t ship:
> > >       * xfonts-* (bitmap renderings of non-free vector fonts)
> > Are you saying that xfonts-* are derived from non-free fonts?
> > How can they be DFSG-free, then?
>
> In the US and some other places, bitmap fonts can't be copyrighted.  You can
> make a free bitmap font by rendering a non-free font at a particular size.

Interesting: could you point me at the specific article that states
this rule in http://www.copyright.gov/title17/  ?

Anyway, even assuming that those bitmap fonts are DFSG-free in the US
and "some other places", what about other jurisdictions?
It has been often said that the Debian Project cannot (and should not)
rely on the parts of copyright law which vary wildly across
jurisdictions (e.g.: fair use/fair dealing and other national
counterparts) in order to declare something DFSG-free.
Why is a different standard being applied here?

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx