Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

On Wed, 27 May 2009 10:33:52 +0200 Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le mercredi 27 mai 2009 à 00:36 +0200, Francesco Poli a écrit :
[...]
> > I instead think that FTP masters should change their minds about 2D
> > images rendered from 3D models.
>
> I suggest you start your own distribution, in which you won’t ship:
>       * xfonts-* (bitmap renderings of non-free vector fonts)

Are you saying that xfonts-* are derived from non-free fonts?
How can they be DFSG-free, then?

>       * all icons shipped without SVG source

When an icon is actually created in SVG format, what's so strange about
insisting that its real source (i.e.: SVG) is shipped in the Debian
(main) source package?

>       * all pictures shipped without XCF/PSD source (oh yeah, that makes
>         a lot)

Again, for pictures that are created in XCF format, the preferred form
for making modifications is the .xcf file, in most cases.
Why are you insisting that source-less works should be accepted in
Debian main?

>       * actually, all pictures that are initially photographs of an
>         object (the preferred form of modification is the original
>         object; if you want to see it at another angle, you need to take
>         another photograph)

For photographs, the physical object is *not* the preferred form for
making modifications to the work, it's the preferred form for
*recreating* the work from scratch.
I think we have already had this discussion.  See

You may argue that the same reasoning applies to 3D models, but I think
the key difference stays in the word "preferred".  Since you cannot
transfer physical objects through a network, or copy & modify them, and
so forth, they are not preferred for making modifications to
photographs.  3D models are instead digital information that may well be
the preferred form for making modifications to a work.

Of course, in some cases, the huge size of a 3D model could well move
the preference to some other form.  As I said, it's always a
case-by-case decision, but not one that should be taken lightly, IMHO.

>       * all sound files shipped without the full genetic code of the
>         speaker

As for photographs, I don't think that this is the actual source.

> You could call it something like gNewSense, and you could discuss during
> hours with RMS how much better it is this way.

Naah, I disagree with RMS on a number of matters, so I don't think that
my "own distro" would be more similar to gNewSense, than to Debian...

> > Disclaimers, of course: IANADD, TINASOTODP (and IANAL, TINLA).
>
> If you really feel the urge to add meaningless acronyms to all your
> emails, please do so in your signature.

Not all my messages require the same set of disclaimers, if at all.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx