Re: Sapphire.cpp -- Gpl compatible? DFSG-free?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> writes:

> /* sapphire.cpp -- the Saphire II stream cipher class.
>    Dedicated to the Public Domain the author and inventor:
>    (Michael Paul Johnson).  This code comes with no warranty.
>    Use it at your own risk.

Without any regard to the legal issues, it is usually a bad idea
to use ciphers that have not been thoroughly analyzed by
experienced cryptographers.  I've never heard of Sapphire II or
Michael Paul Johnson and, although that doesn't mean it is not
secure, it is a bit worrying.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org