Re: php5-xapian: PHP licence vs GPL

In message <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.44.0904170825550.19077-100000@violet.rahul.net>, Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net> writes
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, MJ Ray wrote:
http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/191 makes me think the combination only
happens at compile time, so including unused source would be OK.

I was under the impression that the FSF thinks that if it's illegal to
link a program with GPL software and distribute that, it's also illegal if you
just distribute the other program and have the user do the link.

HOW? I hope the FSF doesn't think this, because imho it is so sloppy legal thinking as to be incompetent!

This is the same situation, and therefore would be a GPL violation.

(And I was also under the impression that Debian follows the wishes of the
copyright holder, so it doesn't matter if this argument has any legal merit,
just that the FSF makes it.)

Just to explain why the FSF *must* be wrong, ask yourself who *needs* the GPL in the situation you describe. The distributor isn't distributing GPL'd software, so he doesn't need it. The user doesn't need the GPL in order to *use* the GPL'd software - that is EXplicit in the GPL.

So where's the violation? Who is copying/distributing/using GPL software in violation of the GPL?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk