Re: Apache license and machine-readable copyright

Il giorno lun, 16/02/2009 alle 17.19 +0000, MJ Ray ha scritto:
> > So far, I've used this form:
> > ----
> > Files: validator/src/org/openstreetmap/josm/plugins/validator/util/Entities.java
> > Copyright: Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation
> > License: Apache-2.0
> >  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
> >  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
> >  this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
> [...]
>
> Can you copy the owner names out of the NOTICE file into the Copyright
> field?  "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation" is not the
> copyright holder, so does not conform to
> http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat#head-d1d2adac8db71e98883d5b052e3ad1760b51ed80
> which is the specification of MaRCopyright that I know about.

This is exactly the problem: I don't know who these people are. This is
happening for two different and independent upstream: they've picked a
file from an Apache project un put it into their project.

But the problem isn't my upstream, but the Apache Software Foundation,
because it's the ASF itself that doesn't revel the people behind the
copyright, but rather says "licensed to the ASF...". This is the same
license which applies to, for instance, the apache2 software, which is
in main. So I don't think this is a legal problem.

But I don't know how to fit this situation in the machine-readable
copyright format. Should I just discard che Copyright: field? Maybe the
copyright format proposal should be amended in order to allow this sort
of situations.

Regards, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Pisa, Italy

Web: http://giomasce.altervista.org
SIP: g.mascellani@ekiga.net
Jabber: g.mascellani@jabber.org / giovanni@elabor.homelinux.org
GPG: 0x5F1FBF70 (FP: 1EB6 3D43 E201 4DDF 67BD  003F FCB0 BB5C 5F1F BF70)