Re: Skype/Facebook trademark logos in Debian packages

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:

>> The pidgin-facebookchat icons seem free (GPLv3) though.
>
> Well, that's what they claim, but what is the real status ? A wild guess
> is that most icons that are present in packages have been picked from
> the web sites (or equivalent) themselves. These icons are most probably
> *not* under the license of the surrounding software.

According to the comments in one of the URLs in the initial mail in
this thread, the author of the facebook icon specifically created it
for pidgin-facebookchat, so I imagine they specifically licensed it
under the GPLv3 for pidgin-facebookchat folks.

http://cubestuff.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/facebook-goes-tango/

> For example, I have serious doubts about the freeness of the search
> engine icons in iceweasel (the ones on the top right of the UI).

That is another matter that you should probably follow up with Mozilla
or whatever copyright holder you can find.

PS: no need to CC me.

--
bye,
pabs