Re: Internet2 licence

Le samedi 05 septembre 2009 à 18:52 +0200, Francesco Poli a écrit :
> Well, not completely a copyleft license, IMHO.
> It says:
>
> |  If you choose to provide your enhancements, or if you choose to
> |  otherwise publish or distribute your enhancements,
> [in source form and without doing something special],
> |  then you thereby grant Internet2 and its contributors a
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |  non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual license to
> [do many things, including sub-license].
>
> Hence, it does _not_ require you to grant *any recipient* the *same*
> rights you received.
> It says that, when you distribute enhanced source (without doing a
> special action), you will automatically grant the *original authors* and
> contributors *more* rights than those you received from them.
>
> This is not a classical (strong or weak) copyleft mechanism, AFAICT.
> This is something different.

Indeed, I have overlooked that. Even if everyone would be granted those
rights, they would be subject to the copyleft while the original authors
are not.

So in short, it allows the original authors to create a proprietary
derivative while it does not allow others to do it. I agree with your
reasoning and the conclusion this clearly violates DFSG #3.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :