Re: Internet2 licence

Le mercredi 02 septembre 2009 à 16:03 +0200, Carsten Wolff a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a project here based on code under the "Internet2" license and I was
> wondering, if it is any different from the 3-clause BSD license.
>
> If it's no different, can I leave out the additional explanatory section ("You
> are under no obligation[..]in binary and source code form.") in derivative
> work and just license the whole derivative under BSD?

It is very different since this additional section makes it a copyleft
license, which makes it incompatible with most other copyleft licenses.

> You are under no obligation whatsoever to provide any enhancements to
> Internet2 or its contributors.  If you choose to provide your
> enhancements, or if you choose to otherwise publish or distribute your
> enhancements, in source code form without contemporaneously requiring
> end users to enter into a separate written license agreement for such
> enhancements, then you thereby grant Internet2 and its contributors a
> non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual license to install, use,
> modify, prepare derivative works, incorporate into the software or
> other computer software, distribute, and sublicense your enhancements
> or derivative works thereof, in binary and source code form.

The “Internet2 and its contributors” choice of words is poor, but
otherwise it sounds like a reasonable and free copyleft license.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :