Re: LGPL code that includes files licensed under Sun Public License 1.0 - DFSG-free?

Hello Francesco,

Thank you for your response.

It's interesting to note that this Wikipedia article states that the SPL
"has been approved by the [FSF]" but completely fails to mention the
incompatibility with the GPL.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Public_License

The files in question actually contain (2) notices each, (see the attached
for an example), the first referencing the SPL and then another stating that
the file is LGPL.  We will to contact the upstream author for clarification
on the intent here.

Thank you,
Tony

Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:27:27 -0700 Tony Mancill wrote:
>
> [...]
>> We are trying to determine the licensing status of a new package,
>> libjxp-java, for which most of the source is licensed under the LGPL,
>> but includes 2 (modified) files for which the original license is the
>> Sun Public License 1.0.  Searches of debian-legal and other resources
>> seem to indicate that the Sun Public License is not DFSG-free
> [...]
>
> The Sun Public License seems to be similar to the MPL, which I
> personally consider as incapable to meet the DFSG.
> Other debian-legal regulars seem to share my opinion:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00221.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/03/msg00551.html
>
> On the other hand, other people disagree with me and claim that the MPL
> is perfectly acceptable for Debian main (some of these people claimed
> this in a rather rude and insulting way):
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/07/msg00197.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/07/msg00215.html
>
>> Does this require the
>> package to placed into non-free?
>
> To determine this, we must first understand the relationship between
> those two SPL'ed files and the rest of the package, which is LGPL'ed.
>
> As a matter of fact, and independently from the DFSG-freeness debate,
> the SPL is GPL-incompatible, as confirmed by the FSF:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SPL
>
> Hence, *if* those two files are *part of* the LGPL'ed library (rather
> than just linked with it, or merely aggregated), then I am under the
> impression that the package is legally undistributable, and thus should
> *not* be distributed by the Debian Project at all (no matter through
> which archive: main, contrib, or non-free!).
>
> Tony, could you please clarify the relationship between the two files
> and the rest of package?
>
> What do other debian-legal regulars think?
>
> [...]
>> P.S. Please cc: me on replies, as I am not subscribed to the list.
>
> Done.
> I assumed Gregor was to be Cc:ed too, please correct me if I'm wrong.

/*
*                 Sun Public License Notice
*
* The contents of this file are subject to the Sun Public License
* Version 1.0 (the "License"). You may not use this file except in
* compliance with the License. A copy of the License is available at
* http://www.sun.com/
*
* The Original Code is JavaCC. The Initial Developer of the Original
* Code is Sun Microsystems, Inc. Portions Copyright 1996-2002 Sun
* Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
*/
/*
* Altered by Tiong Lee (thlee@onemindsoft.org) extensive to be a JJTree grammar
*/
options {
<--SNIP-->
}

PARSER_BEGIN(JxpParser)
/*
 * Copyright (C) 2004 TiongHiang Lee
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
 * Lesser General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
 * License along with this library; if not,  write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 *
 * Email: thlee@onemindsoft.org
 */
package org.onemind.jxp.parser;