Re: GFDL 1.1 or later

In message <[🔎] 20090329090239.GW7217@anguilla.noreply.org>, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> writes
I disagree.  I have received X under several licenses, and it is my
choice which of those to pick.  When I re-distribute it I can
redistribute it under one or any number of those licenses, but I don't
have to redistribute it (or any work based on it) under all of those
licenses.

That wouldn't change the original license people get from the original
place, but from me they can get it only under say 1.2.

In which case, you are NOT distributing the ORIGINAL work, but a derived work, because you've changed it.

If it's an unchanged work, legally, you are using the 1.2 licence to distribute it, but you cannot change the licence the copyright holder originally granted. Note the wording in the GPL - "the recipient gets a licence from the ORIGINAL licensor" - if they gave "1.1 or later" then that's what the recipient gets, regardless of whether you distributed under 1.1 or 1.2.

The ONLY way you can actually *change* the licence is if you add code that is, let's say, "1.2 only". At which point the combined work becomes 1.2.

A choice of licence only gives YOU the right to choose which licence applies to YOU. It does not give you the right to change the licences the recipient can choose from (unless, as I said, you create a derived work, in which case the recipient has to choose a licence that is compatible with your licence for the stuff for which you hold the copyright, and the other stuff you don't hold the copyright for).

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk