Re: GFDL 1.1 or later

Anthony W. Youngman dijo [Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:57:32AM +0100]:
> >That wouldn't change the original license people get from the original
> >place, but from me they can get it only under say 1.2.
>
> In which case, you are NOT distributing the ORIGINAL work, but a
> derived work, because you've changed it.
> (...)
> The ONLY way you can actually *change* the licence is if you add
> code that is, let's say, "1.2 only". At which point the combined
> work becomes 1.2.

Who says it must be code? Specially when talking about GFDL, package
metainfo is a kind of change. If you change the licensing (to a valid
license, of course), you are creating a derived work. Of course, if
you package $foo by creating $foo/debian/*, you are no longer
distributing the original files created by the author - you are
creating a derived work. And that's one of the reasons why in
debian/copyright we must acknowledge the licensing for the work we do
in debian/*

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23