Re: smssend - GPLv2 without SSL exception - What to ask to upstream ?

Le lundi 9 février 2009 13:37:49 Simon Josefsson, vous avez écrit :
> Didier Raboud <didier@raboud.com> writes:
> > Hi debian-legal,
> >
> > smssend was removed from Debian due to licensing issues (#399685 and
> > #487523). As far as I understand it, the problem is/was the following :
> >
> > * the code efectively links to OpenSSL (through skyutils2)
> > * its licence is GPLv2+ _without_ OpenSSL exception
> > * the upstream author was unreachable (email address is now dead - domain
> > for sale and without MX).
> > (...)
> > * Re-licence with OpenSSL exception => I would be able to "fork".
> > (...)
>
> The first option seems easiest to me, if there is a single authorship
> that is able to grant the re-licensing.

Hi,

According to the "AUTHORS" file of the last .orig.tar.gz, there are various
authors, but one copyright holder.

> Another option you could explore it to replace the code that uses
> openssl with something else.  Skytils2 doesn't seem to link to openssl
> here?
>
> Package: skyutils2
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)

skyutils2 build-depends on libssl-dev. And in its latest shape, smssend did
build-depend on skyutils2-dev and libssl-dev.

I don't know how this influences the licence imbrication.

> So maybe there isn't a problem.  I can't find the smssend source code so
> I can't tell what it really does.  This option may be the really
> simplest depending on how much code that uses openssl.
>
> /Simon

You can download the latest smssend source code here :

	http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/smssend/

To summarize what I understood :

* skyutils(-dev) is LGPL and build-depends on libssl-dev - it visibly links
statically against libssl-dev, because the resulting binary package does not
depend on libssl. Can LGPL link to OpenSSL without exception [0] ?
* smssend is GPLv2+ (without exception) and links against skyutils and builds
with -lssl .

Both are from the same upstream author and the only rdepends of skyutils is
smssend.

I guess that the simplest (but not the easiest) solution for me would be to fork
the code of skyutils2 of and convert it to use GnuTLS, huh ?

Best regards,

OdyX

[0] If not, it would have to be removed too.
--
Didier Raboud, proud Debian user.
CH-1802 Corseaux